Saturday, April 11, 2009

Random Thoughts and Ramblings from the NICU

Saturday, April 11, 2009 - I have learned quite a bit in the last 2 1/2 weeks in the NICU here at TCH: 1. Doctors travel in herds 2. I am allergic to the hand soap that they require us to wash our hands with when we enter the NICU. 3. I should invest in Purell since I can't use the soap - I probably go through a bottle a day 4. Grab a comfy chair if there is one available in the NICU - they are hot commodities 5. Genetic doctors are a wee bit weird 6. More funny stuff happens in the milk bank than anywhere else - it's like the hospital water cooler - where everyone gathers to talk and gossip! 7. I have a tendency to fall asleep in the milk bank - there have been search parties sent to be sure I am ok! 8. There is such a thing as NICUitis - hence the random thoughts and ramblings! 9. There are purell holders on every single wall in this hospital - EXCEPT IN THE CAFETERIA - who would have thought that! 10. The trashcan in one of the bathrooms is always locked - what's the point of the trashcan? 11. The Ro Ho reminds me of the Phi Mu house - it's like going home! 12. I think I am the only one that calls the Ronald McDonald House the Ro Ho 13. Random doctors are always coming by to check out Elle's chart - I wish they would introduce themselves before diving right into Elle's records 14. The neo team and cardiac team are by far the kindest, most personable group of people I have ever met - I fully trust them with my daughter 15. The NICU is not the place where you want to run into old friends - but I have - and it is such a blessing to have familiar faces to talk to everyday. 16. I have never in my life carried on more conversations with random people (other than rush) and felt like I have been lifelong friends with these people - we are all going through similar situations and it is comforting to know that they understand things like "PGE" and "BT Shunts" - and I usually don't even know the person's name - only their baby's name! 17. Lee goes crazy in the NICU 18. I have never said "hi" so many times - but I could sit here all day and say it to Elle 19. I am going to have cavities from all the candy I am eating from Elle's neighbors candy basket 20. Nurses don't get enough praise, admiration or money for all that they do. We will forever be indebted to our wonderful nurses 21. You never understand the impact you have on other people's lives until there is a situation in which you have to depend on other people. Thank you so much to all of our friends, family, friends of friends and people that we don't even know. Your thoughts, prayers, and continued support mean so much to us!!

No comments: