Monday, April 13, 2009

Surgery Day

Monday, April 13, 2009 - Lee and I got to Elle's bedside around 5:30am to spend a few hours with her before surgery. She was supposed to into surgery around 7:30am. Lee got to her bedside first and was holding her when I got there. I was so happy to see that they had taken out her feeding tube and Selly had also removed the tape from her face. She looked like a completely different baby without the feeding tube and tape. She was awake for a majority of the time we spent with her and has figured out her binky and breathing with no problem! Saturday and Sunday were such wonderful days - Elle made so many great strides - I am so proud of her! Hopefully her recovery will be better now that she can breathe better. Vickie was able to come by this morning before they wheeled Elle into surgery and was able to hold her. She's another proud grandmother!! The anesthesiologist came by around 9:00am to get Elle ready to be wheeled up. They took her from my arms and put her in her little bed. She started to cry and Andrea, her day nurse, gave her a warm blanket and a new binky. Elle was a happy camper when she got her binky and held onto it as she was wheeled through the NICU and into the elevators. One of the doctors commented as she was being wheeled out that she sure did look happy. She really did look happy and content! Lee, Vickie, 2 anesthesiologist, Sophia (her charge nurse during surgery), Elle and myself all piled into the elevator and went with her up to the 18th floor. We kissed her goodbye when we got to the surgery floor. I didn't cry all morning, but I started to tear up when we kissed her goodbye. I know in my heart of hearts that she will be fine. It was just tough to say goodbye to her knowing that she is going into surgery. We fully rely on God and He will take care of our little angel during surgery. I pray for the doctors, nurses and Dr. Morales - the surgeon. I pray for their clarity and wisdom as they work on her and fix her heart. I pray for their strength in mind, body and faith. I pray that they think with their heads and hearts. Dr. Hall, the anesthesiologist, will work on her first and get her ready for surgery. Dr. Morales will do his part after Dr. Hall has her stabilized. We will be waiting on the 17th floor and Sophia will give us updates every 2 hours during surgery. The entire procedure should take about 6 hours total with the surgery and anesthesia.
Psalm 33:20 - 22
"We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. May our unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in you."

No comments: