Monday, April 6, 2009

What?!

Monday, April 6, 2009 - Elle is 2 weeks old today! I sang "Happy Birthday" to her at least 10x already! Lee and I woke up early this morning to come into the hospital. We got here around 6:45am - Lee said good morning to Elle and then headed into work. I went and did my mom duties and got back to Elle's bedside around 7:45am. Elle's eyes were open and she was moving around - which I love! I held her pacifier for her until she fell back asleep around 9:30am. During this time, the doctors made rounds and I was hit with an onslaught of information. They let me sit in on their discussion of Elle (usually I am standing next to Elle's crib - eavesdropping on that they are talking about). Mary, the nurse practitioner that we have grown to trust and rely on for information informed me that Elle's nose surgery is going to be today - around 6:00pm. What?! It was supposed to be scheduled for Thursday! Evidently, Dr. Morales, the cardiac surgeon, called Dr. Edmonds this morning and requested that he (Dr. Edmonds) move Elle's surgery up so that he (Dr. Morales) could do the heart surgery this week. He said he wants everything done before Easter. Ok - at least we aren't going to be waiting 2 weeks...but on the other hand...I don't want them to rush Elle into heart surgery if she hasn't recovered from the nose surgery! Dr. Edmonds told Mary that the recovery time will be 2 days - which is quite a bit different from what he told me - I was told 6 weeks. Maybe the recovery time of 2 days is the amount of time he feels comfortable with before allowing her to go back into surgery. I am going to guess that is it! After receiving the news about the nose surgery, Mary hit me again with more news. According to the CT that Elle had done on Friday, she may or may not have problems with her little eyes and ears too. It may or may not be attributed to a genetics disorder. I told Mary that we are going to fight one battle at a time and the first battle to fight is the nose battle. Once we get through that - it will be her little heart - and after that - everything else. Our precious little angel is about to be seen by a Genetics doctor for him to do his evaluation of her. Well - first he has to stop getting phone calls! He has been at her bedside for less than 10 minutes and has received 12 phone calls in that time. The more phone calls - the more important the person...right? I think we might end up seeing a doctor from every discipline! When I got here this morning, I was worried about how I was going to make it through the day - I was so tired and could only think about signing up for a room for nap time in the Ronald McDonald house. Now, I am sitting here looking at the clock and not believing it is noon. I would say time flies when you are having fun - but I don't think that saying pertains to today's situation. The NICU is a time warp! Our nurse today is so nice - she is looking through all of Elle's charts for me so I can write down the notes that the doctors are leaving. She even did some research on some info that the doctors gave me while I went and ate breakfast! I love attentive nurses who are willing to help the parents out! Everything we have been through in the last 2 weeks has been a blessing. Some of the events have been blessings in disguise - but never the less - we know who is in charge. In church yesterday, Lance went over the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead (John 11:1-44). I was re-reading over the story this morning and the part that keeps coming back to me is John 11:40-42 - "Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said,"Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I know that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me." I firmly believe that we are seeing the glory of God work through our little girl. We have seen so many miracles and blessings in the last 2 weeks and I know we will be seeing many more to come!

4 comments:

mrsrubly said...

poor baby girl. your right one battle at a time. i hope all goes well with her nose surgery. i pray her recovery time is short and the healing of that is God speed. i sent a note to ya'll. hope you got it and it brightens your day! keep us posted. bonny in TX

Nathan said...

We have been preying that if it what was right for Elle, the surgery would be moved up in the week. Please let us know if we can help with anything.

Becky Mc said...

Lisha & Lee, I will be praying for Dr. Edmonds and his team to do a perfect surgery for Elle. I am praying for a speedy recovery so that her heart can be surgically repaired. You are so right to face each battle as they come to you. And as always I am in awe of your faith and love of your Lord. Bless you and baby Elle.

Mark Lupher said...

I was thinking that same passage last night when I heard Little Elles surgery might be today but didn't have my bible with me. I pray that God will have a hand on Elle this evening and bring her through this 1st phase.